About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Homemade Popeye Noodles and Chicken

Being an old country girl, homemade Popeye noodles with chicken over mashed potatoes was a very common meal. Popeye are a bit thicker than store purchased noodles and extremely delicious. Why are they called Popeye noodles? It was never questioned in my family as they were homemade noodles, good and no one cared. If you’ve never made popeye noodles this recipe is definitely a must try.

Instructions for making Homemade Popeye Noodles and Chicken:

  1. Put flour, egg and maybe a splash of water and mix. Add Salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder. Like Rachael Ray just measure the seasonings with a pinch of this and that, and using the palm of your hand.  Learn to go by how it looks and tastes.
  2. Blend vigorously to make stiff dough.
  3. Place dough on your well-floured surface, you might have to work in more flour before spreading out your dough.
  4. Pat, or roll out, your dough until you get the desired thickness you prefer, approx ¼ inch thick.
  5. Cut into strips length wise, approx 1 inch wide.
  6. Cut into squares by cutting the other way.
  7. As you're cutting the Popeye dough, separate the squares and move them out of the way so you can get to the rest of the dough. As you are doing this, make sure you have plenty of flour at all time to keep from sticking.
  8. Let your Popeye noodles lay out to dry a bit while you go to the next step.
  9. Cook a chicken or use leftover you might have in the refrigerator. Cool and scrape off the extra fat.
  10. Pick your cooked chicken off the bone. Put your chicken in stockpot with approx 4 qt of water and bring to a boil.
  11. Drop your Popeye noodles in the stockpot a few at a time and stir. Do this until all your Popeye are in the pan.
  12. After all are in the pot reducing to a medium heat, stir frequently to avoid sticking and clumping together.
  13. Test your noodles by tasting a small piece every so often. When they are done serve them with mashed potatoes, a veggie of choice and big glass of filtered ice water.

Tip:
  • If you made an angel food cake to go with your fresh strawberries, is a great time to make homemade noodles.
  • Basil, Thyme and oregano cooked in your chicken makes a great base for the Homemade Popeye noodles.

1 comment:

  1. That sure looks good,I,m going to try it for dinner. I also want to thank you for visiting my blog I just love takeing pictures and sharing them with others. I will be following your blog you have some real great posts.

    ReplyDelete