Are you still looking for snacks for your next family get together or maybe your super bowl party? Not everyone likes greasy potato chips; however, do enjoy the crunch they provide. An easy recipe and much healthier alternative is making kale chips.
Ingredients for making kale chips:
• A bundle of kale
• Olive oil
• Garlic powder
• Himalayan salt
• Black pepper
Instructions to make kale chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the bundle of kale.
3. Chop the kale in piece roughly the size of a potato chip throwing away the stems.
4. Drizzle olive oil over the kale and then rubbed it in.
5. Sprinkle with garlic powder, Himalayan salt and black pepper.
6. Place the kale in the oven and bake for 17 minutes.
There you have it, see how easy it is to make a healthy kale chip.
Chicken and Cauliflower Poppers
- IN, United States
- I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 39 1/2 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and six others. I write online articles for Bubblews. I have articles on Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio. You can also find my work on Bukisa as they have stolen our content and stopped paying us.
Monday, January 26, 2015
Saturday, January 24, 2015
I love getting recipe ideas from Facebook, family and by watching The Chew. Last week Daphne Oz made Chicken and Cauliflower poppers. I did modify the recipe a touch to fit our family Daphne used fresh parsley where as I have an abundance of oregano from the garden and I like it so much better than parsley. The second substitution was a sweet onion from the garden replacing the scallions she used. Last but not least, instead of grinding chicken I used already ground turkey I had in the freezer.
I wanted to make the chicken and cauliflower poppers Friday night for supper without telling my husband what they were as I wanted an honest reaction for the new recipe. Well, it was well received and he almost did not leave me any.
Not frying all the poppers I refrigerated the remaining mixture thinking it would make an easy meal Sunday after church or even Monday evening. The hubby liked the poppers so much; he requested I fry up the rest tonight. With the chicken cauliflower poppers we had Kale chips for a delicious supper.
Ingredients to make chicken and cauliflower poppers:
- 1 small head cauliflower; cut into florets
- 1 small sweet onion; chopped
- 3 tablespoons oregano; dried
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey
- salt and black pepper
- oil; for frying
Instructions to make chicken and cauliflower poppers:
1. Using a food processor, combine cauliflower florets, onions, oregano, garlic and soy sauce; puree until a chunky paste forms. Add the ground chicken or ground turkey, salt and pepper and pulse until the mixture has evenly combined.
2. Heat enough vegetable oil to cover a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Using a tablespoon, scoop the meatballs into the pan being sure not to crowd the pan. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes.
3. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
We loved the chicken and cauliflower poppers, serve them up for your family, it's even a great super bowl party recipe, they will love them.
Thursday, January 22, 2015
I had never heard of trash can turkey until 2012 when our son-n-law and daughter heard about it and then made it for us as the Thanksgiving Day main dish. Oh my it was moist and delicious. I have had it since then, once in the summer months, turkey does not have to be saved just for Thanksgiving. If you like grilling out, you need to try trash can turkey.
Supplies to make a Trash Can Turkey:
o 1 Roll of heavy aluminum foil
o A shovel
o 1 foil covered 2-inch x 2-inch wood post, rebar rod or doll rod
o Bricks; optional
o 1 Big bag of your favorite charcoal
o 1 Turkey; big enough for your family event
o 1 New and never used metal trash can
o Wheelbarrow or bucket for ashes
o 1 Pair of Heavy Gloves
Instructions to make Trash Can Turkey:
- Even though you are using a new trash can, you never know who has been handling it, use hot water and rinse it out. However, just washing the can is not enough. You have to burn it out several times to get all the galvanized chemicals out so they don't cook into bird!
- Bury the post, whichever you choose to use, about 6-inches deep in the ground. Then cover it with foil then cover the ground for about 2-3 feet around your post with foil.
- Our son-n-law then added 2 foil-covered
bricks beside the post for the turkey to rest on. As an added bonus, he
made a ring of bricks to go around the trash can and for the coals to
Using another large patch of foil start some charcoal burning down to use to bake the trash can turkey.
- After the coal have started burning good, place your turkey on the post legs down
- Place the trash can down over the turkey, making sure to center the trash can over the turkey.
- Shovel the burning coals around the outside of the trash can, pile the hot coals around the entire base and up approximately 1-2 inches over the lip of the can. ***This is where the bricks come in handy; they help keep the coals piled up where needed.
- Cover the bottom of the trash can with hot coals. Now just set back and let the turkey bake.
- Using the heavy gloves grab and lift the trash can. The can will be extremely hot, PLEASE be careful.
- Carefully remove the baked turkey with a large fork or other of heavy utensils, serve up and enjoy.
I teased our daughter that she was serving us trashy turkey, however, this turkey was not trashy, this trash can turkey was moist and delicious. Trash can turkey would be great for a super bowl party treat.
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
|Red Finch enjoying black oiled Sunflower Seeds|
This do it yourself project, is designed around the brand of coffee you drink, and the shape and size of the coffee can. Let your mind go wild and use your imagination. We personally bounce between Folgers Coffee and Maxwell House which ever is on sale. Saving money on coffee is essential; therefore, recycling the coffee can with a DIY project makes sense.
Access the shape and contour of the coffee can you have chosen to use, it does not take a blueprint so just start designing. The hardest part is measuring and cutting the holes. You do not want them too small for the bird. Ours is large enough they can get the seeds easily and often even go inside the can to eat.
Recycle and reuse those coffee cans, design and make your own coffee can bird feeder the red finches, sparrows, doves, snow birds and even the squirrel is enjoying feeding time at the farm.
Friday, January 16, 2015
I had never heard of gofundme.com until this morning when my nephew Todd set up an account to help his ex wife and daughter. In December, Amber was in the backseat of her mom’s car when a drunk driver hit them. This has left them with medical problems and other needs.
Todd is so frustrated living several states away from his daughter. When I asked him for a quote this is what he had to say, “It's hard to get a lot of the facts, Pammy, it is so frustrating right now, I try to help her I can only do so much, and therefore, that is why I set up this Go Fund Me thing. Heck when I even asked her to give me her information so I could add it to the account, so that she can get the money directly; she tells me that she doesn't have time to mess with stuff like that.”
Many people will help with animal rights in every conceivable way are you willing to help a young girl and mother in need? This young girl happens to be my great niece.