About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 42 1/2 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and six others. I own and operate my own home care business primarily for the elderly. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Canning Green Beans: Using Water Bath Method


My personal favorite way to eat beans, fresh with tators and onions.
Do you have green beans growing in your garden? Do you have too many green beans to eat fresh? Why not can them to enjoy this winter. Canning green beans using the water bath method is a great way to preserve them. 

Supplies needed to can green beans using the water bath method:

  • Fresh green beans
  • Salt, optional
  • Quart or pint canning jars
  • canning rings and lids
  • Stockpot, blue granite cooker or pressure canner
  • Dishtowel 

Instructions to can green beans using the water bath method:


1)    No matter your choice of using a large stockpot or pressure cooker, the first thing you need to do, is to head out to your garden and pick the green or yellow beans. For the best results, you will want to can them as fresh as possible.

2)    Wash the green beans before starting the canning process. This is not a hard process, in a clean sink; rinse the beans in cool water.

3)    Snap off the hard end of the green bean, and look to see if there are any bug bites, or damaged parts, which need cut out.

4)    Next, snap your green beans into bite-sized pieces and wash the beans as wash again. They do get dirty as they grow so close to the ground.

5)    Take your large stockpot and fill it with water to heat. Wash the quart or pint jars in hot soapy water, rinse and turn upside down until ready to use. Put your canning lids in a small pan of hot water until needed.

6)    Now stuff the washed green beans into the canning jars packing them tight but leaving plenty of head space. Fill the jars with hot water, put a teaspoon of salt in the green beans and with a wet cloth wipe the lid clean. Remove a lid from the hot water and place on the top, put the ring on and snug tight.

7)    Put the jars of green beans in the boiling water and give them a hot water bath for 3-3 1/2 hours. Cover the pot with a lid to keep the heat in, after it is boiling you can turn down to medium heat.

8)    When your green beans have finished processing, take them out and set them on a dry dishtowel to cool. Make sure you leave plenty of room in-between the jars so the air can flow through them. As they cool, you will hear a ping sound to tell you they are sealed. The ping is a glorious sound to all who do home canning.

9)    Congratulations, you just canned green beans using the water bath method.
The waster a little low in these qts

Tips when canning green beans using the water bath method:

  • Make sure you have enough water in the pot to cover the jars. 

  • It is old-school to use salt while canning green beans it is an optional step. 

  • Be careful while working with boiling water.  

    ***Disclaimer: there are some that say water bath method is unsafe that only pressure canning will do. However I am 62 years old and this is the way my mom did it year after year until I started doing my own. Since my children are grown and do only a few pints to hold us over the winter months, and also I freeze some.

6 comments:

  1. I grew up eating home canned green beans, and my grandmother didn't have a pressure canner--just a regular old water bath canner. I'm 41 years old and I lived to tell about it. :D Just curious about the timing on this...is this correct that they need to boil in the canner for 3.5 hours? If so, did you have to add water at any point from evaporation, or did the jars stay submerged? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the beans have to be in the boiling water no less than 3 hours and better at 3 1/2 hours. You don't start timing either until the water is boiling. It's been awhile since I've canned as it's just me that would eat them, however, no matter what I'm sealing, I always make sure the jars are covered. If you have to add, just make sure that water is also boiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother canned beans the same way and this is the way she taught me to can them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned from my mom. I'm assuming being one of 12 kids she learned from her mom too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I have been searching the cook time for water bathing green beans and haven't had much luck. Do you have other recipes for canning without a pressure canner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://angelgirlpj.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-can-tomato-juice-using-water.html
    http://angelgirlpj.blogspot.com/2015/08/canning-diced-tomatoes.html
    http://angelgirlpj.blogspot.com/2015/06/freezing-or-canning-tomato-salsa.html
    http://angelgirlpj.blogspot.com/2015/08/peachy-goodness-making-peach-honey.html

    ReplyDelete