About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Homemade Made from Scratch Pumpkin Pie


The homemade pie from 2009
Many people have never made a pumpkin pie from scratch as buying them is so much easier. I myself have made pumpkin pies and started with canned pumpkin however, after growing my own, which are near organic, I love the test the pumpkin gives your pumpkin breads and pies. Therefore, this year, if you need to start making one with canned pumpkin it is just fine, however, you may want to consider cooking down a fresh pumpkin soon.
In 2009, my daughter learned to make a pumpkin pie from scratch and by doing this; we kept a family learning tradition and experience alive. 

Ingredients needed to make a Pumpkin Pie:


  • 2 Cups Homegrown Pumpkin
  • 3 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2/3   Cup brown sugar firmly packed
  • 1 ½  Vitamin D Milk
  • 1 pre-made crust or better yet make that too

Instructions to make a Pumpkin Pie:


  1. First thing to do is pick your organic pumpkin and wash it.
  2.  Cut your pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Save them to roast. 
  3. Get a large stockpot and put enough water in it to cover the pumpkin. Quarter each half and put them in the water. Put the pot on the stove and heat it to boiling. Let your pumpkin cook until soft. 
  4. Remove the cooked pumpkin from the water. Let the pumpkin drain to keep it from being too watery. Scoop the pumpkin meat out and put in a big mixing bowl or blender.
  5. Using the hand mixer or blender; blend until you have smooth pumpkin puree`. 
  6. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Now you are ready to make your pie just as you would if you would have opened a can, thus allowing the experience of making a homemade pumpkin pie from scratch a reality. 
  7. Using a large mixing bowl beat the eggs using a little to brush the rim of your crust. 
  8. Put brown sugar, spices and pumpkin in with the eggs and mix well on medium speed. Gradually add in your milk. 
  9. Pour your pumpkin mixture into the crust.  Place in your heated oven and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the middle of pumpkin pie looks set up.  If your pumpkin is watery, it will alter the baking time.
  10. Let the pumpkin pie cool and serve. If you choose, you can add whipped topping made from scratch pumpkin pie.
***Update: After learning to cook pumpkin the hard way; over the years I have learned to do things quicker and smarter. Cut the pumpkin in 1/2, remove the seeds and place in a 375 Degree (F) oven and bake 1-1 1/2 or until soft. 

    2 comments:

    1. I made pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin and real rolled out pie crust last October. Whew, wish I'd known your tips. Mine turned out OK, but was a lot of work.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I learned making pumpkin pie by peeling it. Way too much hard work. My hands couldn't do it now. I had never made a really good crust so started buying them. Now being gluten free, I can't eat the crust at all.

        Delete