About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Vegan Queso_Cauliflower, Nuts and Delicious


With my health issues starting in 2013 and getting bad by 2016; my diet took a real hit after seeing my herbalist/nutritionist the first time. She put me on a Gluten Free diet, no corn, no peanuts, no oatmeal, no dairy for 6 month trial period and no red meat. The no red meat was the only easy thing on that list as I hadn’t eaten red meat since 2000 or 2001. Needless-to-say, nuts became even more prevalent in my life with the new nutritional yeast right behind it.


When my family found cauliflower and almond queso dip at Aldi’s and Costco I immediately wanted to try it, but I was to anxious and couldn’t wait. That started the whole process of researching queso recipes. I found many of them, even if they did use cashews, they used potatoes as well. Not that I don’t have potatoes from the garden, but I was trying to cut back on calories and really wanted to use the healthier vegetable cauliflower.

Therefore, like many other times, I took that recipe and started substituting ingredients to fit my taste buds. As it turned out, it was a good thing as the store bought version had something in it I just didn’t like.


Ingredients for Vegan Queso_Cauliflower, Nuts and Delicious:

  • 2 tbsp oil; olive oil or coconut oil
  • 1 medium to large chopped onion
  • 4 clove of minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped sweet pepper; orange or red
  • 1-1 ½ cups of cauliflower, chopped

  • 1 tsp Chipolte powder
  • ½ tsp chili powder
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ -1 tsp of salt

  • 1-1 ½ cup walnuts or cashews; I used more walnuts than cashews
  • 1- 1 ½ cups filtered water; use as much as needed for desired consistency

  • 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
  • 1 lemon; juiced
  • 2/3 cup homemade salsa or 1 medium tomato
















Instructions to make Vegan Queso_Cauliflower, Nuts and Delicious:


  1. Using a skillet or sauce pan with lid, melt coconut oil on medium heat and lightly sautee` the onions and garlic until soft.
  2. Add the sweet peppers and cauliflower. Continue to cook for another minute or 2.
  3. Stir in the spices, walnuts and filtered water; start with 1 cup. With the lid on the saucepan, continue to cook, an additional 5-8 minutes letting their flavors mesh together.
  4. Being very careful, as the mixture is hot, pour the pot full into the blender.
  5. Add the lemon, salsa and nutritional yeast. Start with the pulse setting to puree` and work it into a full blend mode until smooth.
  6. Pour into storage containers or bowls to serve with your favorite veggies, chips or rice cakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment