About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

How to Grow a Loofah Sponge Plant



Loofah or Luffa sponge, the spelling is about as interesting as the sponge itself. Did you know you could grow your own Loofah sponges? I had no clue until my son-n-law's son; my step grandson gave homegrown Organic Loofah sponges for Christmas gifts. He gave us organic seeds so the last couple of years we have grown our own. This is how to grow a loofah sponge plant.
  • Loofah/Luffa Seeds
  • Grow lights
  • Potting soil
  • Garden space




ORDER SEEDS:

If your aren't lucky enough to have someone have given you Loofah/Luffa seeds you'll need to order some. I'm not sure you can get them locally but I have found them in our catalogs.

KNOWING WHAT TO ORDER:

OK you have your seed catalogs out and you cannot find sponges listed in the index. Loofah/luffa are actually considered a gourd. Now, that you know this bit of information try looking it up again.

START SEEDS INSIDE:


  1. Plant the seeds in the early springtime. It is best to start your seeds in a mix of moist peat and perlite.
  2. Cover the pot and plant with a plastic bag secured by a rubber band to prevent the moisture from escaping.
  3. Place in indirect sunlight or under a fluorescent light.Always use a pot with a hole.
  4. Repot in its regular mix after it has been growing for a while.


WHERE TO PLANT:

Loofah/luffa require 50-75°F, They do best in full sunlight coming from the South/East/West. So when planning your garden or flower garden, leave the right space available for them.  Loofah sponges do better planted where they can climb, lifting the fruit off the ground.

*1 part garden soil, 1 part coarse sand or perlite, 1 part moist peat is the mix you want to use to start your plants.

Tip:

Depending on where in the world you live, will help determine the success of growing loofah sponges. They need a long warm growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment