About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Salsa Recipe: First Attempt from Scratch



Usually when I have tomatoes coming on too fast to eat fresh, I make either tomato juice or salsa. However, I usually take the easy way out and use Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix. I opened the cabinet and low and behold, I did not have any. Well I had too many tomatoes and I needed to do something, therefore I tried my hand at making salsa from scratch. 

 

Ingredients for Salsa made from Scratch 

  • 15 fresh tomatoes 
  • 2 cloves of fresh garlic
  • 1 large onion2 large green bell peppers
  • 1 large sweet red, orange or purple bell pepper
  • 2 banana peppers; yellow, green or red
  • 4 fresh jalapeno peppers; whole thing for heat 

 

 

Step Two for Salsa made from Scratch 

  • 1 large onion, purple or white; minced or finely chopped 
  • 1 large sweet pepper; red, purple, orange or yellow; minced or finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sugar or sugar substitute
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin 

 

Instructions for Salsa made from Scratch



  1. In a large stockpot, mix the tomatoes, onion, green bell peppers, red bell pepper, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers and garlic. We like a smoother consistency so I ran it through a ricing mill just like making tomato juice.
  2. Stir in the chopped onion, sweet pepper, vinegar, sugar, and season with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour or until the desired consistency is reached.
  3. Transfer salsa to sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom, and seal. Process jars in a hot water bath 15 minutes. Store the unsealed jars in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment