About Me

My photo
IN, United States
I love the Lord and my big crazy family. My husband and I have been together for 44 years. I am a mother of two grown children and a grandmother to four biological grandchildren and 5 others. Many sites have been sold or did upgrades which messed up back links, if you find a broken link let me know and I will fix it.I have written online articles for Bubblews, Seekyt, TopicSpotter and Triond. You may still find some of my articles on Ehow/Demand Studio.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Homemade Fly, Bug and Mosquito Trap: Plastic Bottle Bug Trap

When I read about the mosquito trap on Facebook, I said OH YES; we need that as the mosquitoes have been out in full force. It seems no spray will distract them from biting me. The other problem this garden season is the flies. Where did they all come from and why do they insist on biting me hard enough to draw blood. These bugs have to go.
We do not drink a lot of soda pop so we did not have a 2-liter bottle; however, after the 24-hour period I could see why the larger bottle was necessary as my little water bottles filled up with flies, garden pests, picnic bugs etc. The one thing I could not see was mosquitoes, so I am not sure if that part is true, however, it is getting the flying pests.


 Supplies needed to make bug trap:


• 1 cup of water
• 1/4 cup of brown sugar
• 1 gram of yeast/ Equals: 0.32 teaspoons (tsp) in fresh yeast
• 2-liter plastic bottle
• Scissors
• Tape

Instructions to make bug trap:


1. Cut the plastic bottle in half, no matter what size you choose to use.
2. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them securely together. The flies here in Indiana, liked it so much, they were forcing themselves in-between the tape and the bottle to get to the mix.
3. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (the color black or white will draw mosquitoes too)
4. Mix brown sugar with hot water and let it cool. When cold, add the yeast to the mix and there is no need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which is said to attract mosquitoes, again I cannot testify to the mosquito part but other bugs and slugs like it. Change the solution every 2 weeks or when you bottle is full for continuous control.

1 comment:

  1. I am ready to give this a try! I have never seen so many mosquitoes and flies ever! I know that mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, so I am sure they are in there too! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete