Winter busting white chili will come in handy in Indiana as the cold winter months approach. On the day I learned to make this recipe, the temperature was only 9 degrees Fahrenheit. The wind chill factor was an additional problem and I don't even want to think about how cold it was. Let’s just say my doors to my truck were frozen shut. White chili with ground turkey is a must try recipe on that next cold day, it really is good.
Ingredients for Winter Busting White Chili:
- 1 Pound of navy or great northern beans
- 1 or 2 Pound ground turkey Italian sausage
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 Green pepper, diced
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 Clove of garlic
- 2 Teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 Cups cooked chopped chicken or turkey
- 1- 4 ounce can chopped green chili's
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions to make Winter Busting White Chili:
1. Soak your beans overnight if possible. If time does not permit, soak them as many hours as you can. Bring 8 cups of water to a full boil, pour in the beans and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the water.
2. Brown the ground turkey sausage; add to it the onion, celery, pepper, oregano, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Cook 5-10 minutes stirring constantly.
3. Reduce the heat to low and add 5 cups water and bouillon to the saucepan. Add the beans, meat mixture, chicken/turkey and green chilies, cover and cook 1 1/2 -2 hours. Check the water level every 30 minutes and add more water if necessary, cooking the beans until tender.
4. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the white chili into soup bowls. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese on the top of each serving. Enjoy!